Places to Visit in Kolkata | Things do in Kolkata
Places to Visit in Kolkata | Things do in Kolkata – Kolkata is the Cultural Capital of India and it is also known as the city of joy. Like other cities there are many things to do in this city. Here I am sharing with you some top things to do in Kolkata.
After reading this post, you will get to know complete information about this places like address, entry fees and the most important thing which is timings. If you are planning to visit kolkata, so don’t worry this post will help you to find a way to make your day memorable. Firstly let’s have look on some information about this beautiful city.
Kolkata – The City of Joy
Kolkata is the “Cultural Capital of India”. The city of joy – Kolkata is the capital of West Bengal which is a state of India. Formally it is known as Calcutta. Kolkata was India’s capital under the British Raj from 1773–1911. Today it is known for it’s famous festival Durga Puja, art galleries and cultural festivals. The word Kolkata is derived from the Bengali word Kolikata.
This city is known for it’s art, culture, Intelligence and Durga puja. There are many places to visit in Kolkata which includes lot of historical places like Belur Math, Dakhineswar Temple, Ganga Ghat, Kali Ghat and many more. This city is also famous for its food specially sweets like Rasmali, Chamcham, Misti doi, Rajbhog, Sitafal bhog and last but not the least Roshgula. You will never found the taste like kolkata rasgulla’s in any other places. Lets get started.
- A World Heritage Sites Tour in Maharashtra
- Goa Tour – Sunburn | Goa Trip | The Chainsmokers Live
- Ramzan Eid Special | Mohammed ali road – The Ramadan Heaven
- Aurangabad – Places to Visit in This beautiful City | World Heritage Sites Tour in Maharashtra, India
- Kerala India -Things to know before You Go to ‘The Gods Own Country’
- Alleppy Houseboat in Kerala | Cochin Tour & Alleppy Houseboat Experience
1. Victoria Memorial Hall
The Victoria Memorial Hall is a white marbal building which is a historical place in Kolkata. Victoria Memorial is dedicated to the memory of Queen Victoria. This place is now a museum and tourist destination under the auspices of the Ministry of Culture, this building was started to build in 1906 and construction completed in 1921.
- Address :- Maidan, Victoria Memorial Hall, 1, Queens Way, Kolkata, West Bengal-700071.
- Timings for Victoria Memorial Hall:- Monday – Closed / Holiday (Garden Is open), Tuesday to Sunday– 10:00 am – 5:00 pm, Gardens is open every day from 5:30 pm to 6:15 pm
- Entry Fees:-Rs. 50/- per person for Indians. (30 for Gallery + 20 for Garden), Rs. 200/- per person for Foreign Tourists, No fees For Army person in Uniform and School students in Uniform up to 12 Std.
2. M. P. Birla Planetarium
M. P. Birla Planetarium is iconic structure in Kolkata, West Bengal. Birla Planetarium It is a entertainment & learning center featuring shows about space in a domed theater & stargazing events. You will love the space and sky show. The shows are available in Hindi, Bangali and English. According to wikipedia, It is the largest planetarium in Asia and the second largest planetarium in the world.
The M. P. Birla Planetarium is in itself a architecture which is based on the famous Buddhist Stupa at Sanchi. In M. P. Birla Planetarium they regularly holds sky-shows to dispel the heavenly myths, propagate the basic concepts of astronomy and also train the amateurs to appreciate the grandeur of the night sky. Shows are really very eye catchy and beautiful.
- Address:- 96, Jawaharlal Nehru Road, adjacent to St. Paul’s Cathedral and near Victoria Memorial, Maidan, Kolkata, West Bengal-700071.
- Show Timings of M. P. Birla Planetarium :-Monday to Saturday – 12 pm – 6:30 pm, Special Shows are also conducted on Holidays and Sundays.
- Entry Fees For M. P. Birla Planetarium :- Rs. 40/- per person
3. New Town – Eco Park
Eco Park is the garden of 7 Wonders in Kolkata. This is a very amazing place to enjoy with your family and friends. The main attraction is ‘7 Wonders’ model, but other visiting places are also there like musical fountain and gardens are also very pleasant. The Eco park is very well maintained and the beauty is a pleasure to the eyes. As 7 Wonders are there, so the miniature seven wonders make a great photo opportunity for you with your family and friends.
You will enjoy a lot there and as it is Government owned property, the entry fee is pocket friendly. In Eco Park you will also find number of themed areas like Formal Garden, Herb Garden, Tropical Rain Forest, Bamboo Forest, Rabi Aranya, Tea Garden, Fruits Garden, Mask Garden and Tropical Tree Garden, Toy train etc. You will enjoy the ‘on the go food stalls’ for refreshment as well.
- Address:- Eco Park, Major Arterial Road(South-East), Action Area II, Newtown, Kolkata, West Bengal-700156
- Timings of Eco Park:- Monday-Close / Holiday, Tuesday to Saturday:- 2:30 pm – 8:30 pm
- Entry Fees For Eco Park:- Rs. 20/- per person
4. Indian Museum Kolkata
The Indian Museum is the 9th oldest museum of the world and the largest and oldest museum in India. In Kolkata this place is popularly known as ‘Jadughar’. Indian museum foundation was laid down in 1814, it has incredible collection of contemporary paintings, sacred relics of Buddha, Egyptian mummies and ancient sculptures.
You will also find the most exquisite collections of Mughal paintings, antiques, skeletons, fossils, armors and ornaments. If you like to buy books and curious about history then many book stalls and library is available in Indian museum. In Indian Museum you will get chance to explore more than 30 galleries. The galleries are categorised as Art, Geology, Archaeology, Anthropology, Zoology and Botany. You will love the ambiance and the architecture of the building.
- Address:- 27, Jawaharlal Nehru Rd, Fire Brigade Head Quarter, New Market Area, Dharmatala, Taltala, Kolkata, West Bengal-700016
- Timings of Indian Museum:- Monday-Close / Holiday, Tuesday to Sundaay:- 10:00 am – 5:00 pm (Mar-Nov),10:00 am – 4:30 pm (Dec-Feb)
- Entry Fees For Indian Museum:- Rs. 20/- per person (Adults), Rs. 500/- per person for Foreign Tourists
5. Birla Temple
Birla temple it is a hindu temple in Kolkata. The construction of the Birla temple began in 1970 and entire construction took 26 years to complete. In Birla temple the main statues of Shree Shree Radha Krishna, the left side you will get to see the Goddess Durga temple and on the right side you will get see Lord Shiva temple, you will also get chance to see the showcases scriptures of Bhagavad Gita in its stone engravings.
- Address:-29, Ashutosh Chowdary Ave, Ballygunge, Opposite Ballygunge Post Office, Ballygunge, Kolkata, West Bengal-700019, India
- Timings of Birla Temple:- Monday to Sunday:-5:00 am to 11:30 am and 4:00 pm to 9:00 pm
- Entry Fees For Birla Temple:- No entry fees 🙂
6. Mother’s Wax Museum
Mother’s Wax Museum is situated in New town, the planned part of the city. This Wax Museum established in November 2014. You will get to see more than 19 wax status in Mother’s Wax Museum including statue of famous actors Amitabh Bachchan. It is beutiful and many time you will feel that the original person is standing in front of you not a statue.
- Address:- 6th & 5th Floor, Finance center, Action Area – II, CBD-I, New Town, Kolkata, West Bengal-700156
- Timings :- Monday-Close / Holiday, Tuesday to Sunday:– 12:00 pm – 7:30 pm
- Entry Fees For Mother’s Wax Museum :-Rs. 250/- per person, No entry fees for childrens below 3 Years, You can buy tickets online also – https://motherswaxmuseum.in/museum-tickets/
7. Kalighat – Kali Temple
Kalighat-Kali temple situated at Anami Sangha, Kalighat, Kolkata, West Bengal. Kali Temple is a Hindu temple of goddess Kali Maa. It is a one of the 51 Shaktipeethas. Kalighat mean kali on the old course of the Hoogly river in the city of Kolkata.
The story behind it that the various part of Sati’s body are said to have fallen on the earth, in the course of Shiva’s Tandav and Kalighat represents the site where the toes of the right foot of Sati have fallen. You will feel the holy atmosphere at kali ghat.
- Address: Anami Sangha, Kalighat, Kolkata, West Bengal-700026, India.
- Timings of Kalighat-Kali Temple:- Monday to Sunday -5:00 am to 2:00 pm and 5:00 pm to 10:30 pm
- Entry Fees For Kalighat-Kali Temple:- No entry fees
8. Eden Gardens Kolkata
Eden Gardens is a Cricket stadium in Kolkata. The Eden graden established in 1864, it is the oldest cricket stadium in India. Eden garden stadium gets its name from the Eden Gardens, one of the oldest parks in Kolkata. Eden Gardens occasionally been used for football matches, this stadium is the headquarters of the cricket association of Bangal.
- Address:- Maidan, B.B.D. Bagh, Kolkata, West Bengal-700021, India.
- Timings for Eden Garden Kolkata:- Monday to Sunday-5:00 am to 11:30 pm
- Entry Fees For Eden Garden Kolkata:- Ticket price varies as per match.
9. St. Paul’s Cathedral Kolkata
The St. Paul’s Cathedral church is located in the heart of the city. I must say it is an immediate neighbor to Birla Planetarium. The atmosphere of church is really very holy, you must-visit here if you seek enriching historical and architectural pleasure on your vacation trips. Do visit St. Paul’s Cathedral church, the structure of church will remind you of the colonial times and takes you down the memories.
- Address:- Cathedral Rd, Maidan, Kolkata, West Bengal-700071.
- Timings for St. Paul’s Cathedral church :- Monday to Staurday-9:00 am to 12:00 pm-3:00 pm to 6:00 pm, Sunday-7:30 am to 6 pm
- Entry Fees For St. Paul’s Cathedral church:- No entry fees
10. Princep Ghat Kolkata
Princep Ghat is very clam and beautiful place situated in Kolkata. It was built in 1841 during the British raj. It is situated at the bank of the Hoogly river. Princep Ghat located on the strand road. You will get to see one building there.
This is the memorial built for James Princep, who was famous for deciphering inscriptions of the Ashoka era. Take a boat ride so you can enjoy the holy vibes and adorable beauty of Ganga river. The beauty of Howarah bridge at one side and Vidyasagar setu on the other side.
Tourist come here to see a Sun set, Sun rise and the magnatic beauty of Vidydasagar Sethu across the river it gives a beautiful background to the Memorial. you will enjoy your evening there because garden and pathways.
- Address:- Princep Ghat, Fort William, Hastings, Kolkata, West Bengal-700021, India.
- Timings for Princep Ghat:- Monday to Sunday-12:00 am to 12:00 pm
- Entry Fees For Princep Ghat:- No entry fees
11. Howrah Bridge Kolkata
Howrah Bridge is situated over the Hoogly river in Kolkata.The Howarah Bridge is a historical bridge made by the British government during British raj. The visitors of Kolkata should definitely go there once. The Howrah bridge was originally named the New Howrah Bridge, because it replaced a pontoon bridge at the same location. What makes this bridge unique is the fact that it was built without a single nut or bolt and is held together by rivets. This Bridge is the symbol of Kolkata and West Bengal.
It is the 3rd longest cantilever bridge at the time of construction of the Howarah bridge and it is the 6th longest bridge of it’s type in the world. It links the two cities of Howrah and Kolkata. As per Wikipedia in 14 June 1965 it was renamed Rabindra Setu after the great Bengali poet Rabindranath Tagore. Whenever you visit to Howrah Bridge you will feel it is breathtaking and lively. You can visit whenever you want.
- Address:- Howarah Bridge, Jagganath Ghat, 1, Strand Road, Kolkata, West Bengal-700001, India
- Timings for Howarah Bridge:- Monday to Sunday-12:00 am to 12:00 pm
- Entry Fees for Howarah Bridge:- No entry fees
12. Dakshineswar Kali Temple
Dakshineswar Kali Temple is a Hindu temple located on the bank of the Hooghly River in Kolkata. This temple is resides in every bengali person’s heart. Dakshineswar kali temple is highly revered for being the holiest place of Goddess Kali. The Dakshineshwar Kali Temple is a holy efforts of Rani Rashmoni was the result of a rani’s dream that she had seen.
You will get to see the series of 12 temples dedicated to the Loard Shiva, Radha Krishna, Rani Rashmoni’s shrine and Barthing ghat etc. Temple have a Nava-ratna styled Bengali architecture, the temple stands on a high platform with a fleet of stairs. You will find the Hooghly River and the Belur Math across, the Dakshineshwar Kali temple. The construction of the temple was taken place between the year 1847 to 1855.
- Address:- Dakshineswar Kali Temple, May Dibas Pally, Dakshineswar, Kolkata, West Bengal-700076, India.
- Timings for Dakshineswar Kali Temple :- October to March- 06:00am to 12:30pm, 03:00pm to 08:30pm (Everyday), April to September- 06:00am to 12:30pm, 03:00pm to 09:00pm (Everyday), Monday to Sunday all day you can visit.
- Entry Fees for Dakshineswar Kali Temple :- No entry fees
13. Belur Math
Belur Math is a well know for Shree Shree Ramkrishna paramhansa and Swami Vivekanand. It is the International headquarters of the Ramakrishna Math and Mission. This is founded in 1899 by Swami Vivekananda and the chief disciple of Ramakrishna Paramahamsa.
If you see the Belur math from all side, you will get to see the view represents a church, mosque and temple by a different angles. It is located on the west bank of Hoogly river. Belur Math is a one of the imporatnt and significant institution in Kolkata.
- Address:- Belur Math, Belur, Howrah- 711202, West Bengal.
- Timings for Belur Math:- 6:00 am to 11:30 am and 4:00 pm to 7:00 pm (Apr-Sep), 6:30 am to 11:30 am and 3:30 pm to 6:00 pm (Oct-Mar), Belur Math is open on every day from Monday to Sunday. You can visit any day on above timings.
- Entry fees for Belur Math:- No entry fees
Also read – City of Joy
“I would really like to know, how much this article is useful for you? Share your feedback, leave your comments in comment box.“ If you want any other information feel free to ask, write your question in comment box!
“Good People, Good Thoughts, Good Karma”
All content and images are the copyright of akuner.com. All recipes are tried and tasted, if you are really want to post a recipes or travel post, please try to make, write and post your own recipes and Travel experience.